Ramblings from Retirement – Why Struggle?

Ramblings from Retirement – Why Struggle?
By Lee Hemen, Retired Pastor
March 23, 2021

Have you ever known someone who seems to constantly struggle in life? They struggled on the playground trying to find someone to play with, they struggled through Middle School and High School trying to fit in, and they struggled in college trying to find themselves. When they get a job they struggle with coworkers, bosses, and trying to get ahead. When they look for love they struggle trying to find the “right” one to love and they struggle raising their kids and being partnered in a marriage. And they certainly struggle with their relationship with God.

Esau was this kind of a person who struggled all through his life from his birth to his inheritance. We could make excuses for Esau and say that his twin brother Jacob was a grasping deceiver but we forget that we all make choices in life and perhaps this is where many of our struggles come from?

Esau was impulsive and knew he should have safeguarded his relationship with his father but he did not give a thought to the future and lived for the day instead. After returning home from hunting game to prepare a meal for his dying dad he learns the awful truth that his brother had tricked their father into giving him his rightful blessing.

When Esau heard his father’s words, he burst out with a loud and bitter cry and said to his father, “Bless me--me too, my father!” But he said, “Your brother came deceitfully and took your blessing.” Esau said, “Isn’t he rightly named Jacob? He has deceived me these two times: He took my birthright, and now he’s taken my blessing!” Then he asked, “Haven’t you reserved any blessing for me?” Isaac answered Esau, “I have made him lord over you and have made all his relatives his servants, and I have sustained him with grain and new wine. So what can I possibly do for you, my son?” Esau said to his father, “Do you have only one blessing, my father? Bless me too, my father!” Then Esau wept aloud. His father Isaac answered him, “Your dwelling will be away from the earth’s richness, away from the dew of heaven above. You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. But when you grow restless, you will throw his yoke from off your neck.” Esau held a grudge against Jacob because of the blessing his father had given him. He said to himself, “The days of mourning for my father are near; then I will kill my brother Jacob. (Genesis 27:34-41 NIV)”

Now Esau makes threats and his brother flees for his life. Both learn tough lessons. Jacob learns what deceitfulness is all about from his future father-in-law. Esau marries “Mahalath, the sister of Nebaioth and daughter of Ishmael son of Abraham, in addition to the wives he already had” (Genesis 28:9 NIV), while Jacob heads to Haran to find a wife. His father-in-law Laban uses him and deceives him into first marrying Leah in order to finally marry Rachel whom he truly loved. Leah ends up having sons and Rachel remains barren. She then gives Jacob her maidservant Bilhah for sexual relations, and she gives birth to two sons. Leah gets mad and gives Jacob her maidservant Zilpah (Are you getting a picture here?) And back and forth and back and forth it goes until Rachel gives birth to Joseph who gets stuffed in a well because his brothers end up hating and are jealous of Joseph because he is spoiled by their parents. This is a whole other story. Jacob finally gets away from Laban with his wives and kids and heads back home. On the way there he meets his brother who at first is loaded for bear but they end up forgiving one another and Jacob does the right thing by Esau.

All of this to say that we often make our own struggles in life because of the choices we make. This was certainly true for Esau. We truly do not need to struggle in life because we have someone who is more than willing to take on our struggles and make them His own. Jesus related, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV)” Why struggle, let Jesus struggle for you.
----
This article is copyrighted © 2021 by Lee Hemen and is the sole property of Lee Hemen, and may not be used unless you quote the entire article and have my permission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have Faith in God - Mark 11:22-26

2 Chronicles 7:13-15 - Building a Strong Church -- How to Pray With Power!