Jesus is the Father! - John 14:7-15

Jesus is the Father! - John 14:7-15
By Pastor Lee Hemen
September 27, 2015

We live in a society that does not value parenthood as past generations did and we suffer from its effects. The percentage of fatherless homes has risen dramatically. It affects learning and study habits, daily nourishment, and societal interaction. It is the outcome of a distorted view of what marriage is the definition of family and our disconnection in murdering the unborn. When living together is seen as the same as marriage, that marriage is defined as anything, and unwanted pregnancies are disposed of through harvesting, it is no wonder our view of fatherhood has faltered.

It is therefore getting more and more difficult for folks to understand the spiritual concept of God the Father and even more disconcerting for folks to understand Jesus is the Father! Here in John's gospel he relates that Jesus wanted us to understand that he is the Father, let's discover why…

READ: John 14:7-15

Some father's are great and are involved with their children while sadly others are never heard from again. It is therefore comforting to know that…

I. We see and hear God the Father through Jesus! (Vv. 7-10)


"If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work."

  1. We have a tendency to forget the fact that Jesus is totally and completely God. We often think of Jesus only as Savior or someone we are to follow, but not in the sense that he is the Creator of all things. When we do we begin to reduce Jesus to being just a man who taught good things and did nice acts of kindness. The disciples were confused as well and they had Jesus right there in front of them! So he tells them, "If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well." Jesus' words are kind of a rebuke. The idea here is that if they truly knew Jesus as they thought they did, they would realize that he is God the Father; after all he had told them "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30 NIV) He then continues here by telling them, "From now on, you do know him and have seen him." Jesus was him! Philip, however, shows just how spiritually blinded some folks can be and remarks, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Of course most folks would love to truly speak to or see God. It is kind of a spiritual insecurity on our part. We want to believe but sometimes we wish we could actually see or hear from God. The beautiful truth is the fact we have both seen and heard from him in Jesus! This is why Jesus answered Philip, "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?" The same is true for us as well! We see God in his Son Jesus and we hear his words to us from his gospel message! Jesus continues by telling Philip, "Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work." Jesus is not teaching some Eastern metaphysical concept, he is relating that he is God the Father! Everything Jesus did was of God because he is God! Philip, the disciples, and the rest of us see and hear God the Father through Jesus!

  EXAMPLE: I can remember when someone told me that I looked like and sounded like my father. It made me feel good because I loved my Dad. We can find comfort and security in knowing that when we trust Jesus, we are trusting God the Father. We see and hear God the Father through Jesus!

My Dad was a mechanic and did a lot of different things in his life. As I matured and grew I learned that just like my Dad I could do just about anything I put my mind to, from fixing things, working on cars, or simply being handy around the house. Here in John's gospel we discover…

II. We live and work in God the Father through Jesus! (Vv. 11-15)

"Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. If you love me, you will obey what I command."

  1. When Jesus spoke of God the Father living in him he meant he is God. It is God doing the work when Jesus did what he did. This is why Jesus continued by stating, "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves." If Jesus did the miracles of God, it was proof he was God. Early on in his ministry Jesus had told them, "I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the very work that the Father has given me to finish, and which I am doing, testifies that the Father has sent me." (John 5:36 NIV) Jesus then continues by teaching them, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing." In other words those who have placed their faith and trust in Jesus will do the works of God! In fact, Jesus emphatically states that she or "He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." When Jesus returned to his place in heaven he left those who believe in him the ability and task to reach more folks, do more works of God, and thereby do greater things than even he had done! The reason this is true is because Jesus would and "will do whatever you ask in [his] name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father." We often do not fully realize the power and authority Jesus has given us! Jesus relates, "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." Now this is not carte blanche whereby we treat Jesus as our personal Genie nor is it a special prayer formula to be rigidly adhered to in order to garner the good graces of God: "In Jesus' name!" John would later clarify this by writing, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us--whatever we ask--we know that we have what we asked of him." (1 John 5:14-15 NIV) Jesus relates that it boils down to "If you love me, you will obey what I command." We live and work in God the Father through Jesus!

  EXAMPLE: When I work around the house, change the oil in my truck, or sit and read I often think of my father. I can picture him in my mind doing similar things and he really enjoyed reading. He loved Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey, and also science fiction just like I do. We often see ourselves in our children and whether they like it or not they see themselves in us! The same is true for those who trust Christ with their lives and we discover that we live and work in God the Father through Jesus!

Conclusion:

We see and hear God the Father through Jesus! We live and work in God the Father through Jesus! Now let me ask you, do you know God the Father through Jesus his Son?

This article is copyrighted © 2015 by Lee Hemen and is the sole property of Lee Hemen, and may not be used unless you quote the entire article and have my permission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have Faith in God - Mark 11:22-26

2 Chronicles 7:13-15 - Building a Strong Church -- How to Pray With Power!