Believe! - John 12:44-50

Believe! - John 12:44-50
By Pastor Lee Hemen
August 23, 2015

There are those who try to tear apart the theology of the Trinity, but when they do they do so at their own spiritual and eternal peril. While there are spiritual concepts we may never understand until we are face-to-face with Jesus in heaven, there are those that we must appreciate in order to realize who God is, why he sent Jesus, and how he acts in his creation that includes his relationship with us.

When I was little I thought that girls were gross; when I was a bit older I was tongue-tied and embarrassed to even speak to the opposite sex; when I got even older I knew I wanted one; and now that I have been married for forty years to the best of the best, I realize I could not live without her. All of this is to say that when I was younger and more immature I did not fully understand the relationship between guys and gals. Not that I fully understand it now, but I can honestly say I am a whole lot more informed than when I was little. Girls are not as gross as I through them to be. The theological notion of who Jesus is and why we must believe in him is also a process, especially when it deals with his relationship to us, God the Father, the Holy Spirit, and his creation. Spiritual maturity comes with belief. Let's see what Jesus teaches us about this in John's gospel…

READ: John 12:44-50

The gospel is not a means by which you can have a happy life. In fact you will be condemned, judged, and hated for it. The gospel message is not a concept to be followed for five easy steps to a better life. In fact, you will find it difficult sometimes to follow Jesus where he desires. The gospel is not one of many wonderful messages given to us by ascended masters to make us realize our god-potential. In fact, many of us never realize the full potential God has created us for until we willingly submit to his purpose in our lives. Why is the message of Jesus so important? John relates that…

I. When you believe in Jesus you believe in God! (Vv. 44-45)

Then Jesus cried out, "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me.

  1. The Proverbist asks, "Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding raise her voice?" (Proverbs 8:1 NIV) And that "Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares". (Proverbs 1:20 NIV) Here we find the wisdom of God in Jesus crying out in a loud voice to anyone who would listen to his words. He knew his time was short and he desired that folks would hear him and perhaps be drawn by God to listen to what he had to share with them. His words, like that of a town crier, someone who pronounced the news in olden times, were important for the crowd to hear and understand. Therefore, "Jesus cried out, 'When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me!'" Belief in Jesus is not a concept nor is it some altruistic proposition; belief in Jesus is a total commitment. Jesus was not asking his audience to make some mental acquiescence to his teaching; rather he was asking them to make a personal commitment to who he was. When a person believes in Jesus, he does not believe in him only, but in God who sent him! In fact, Jesus relates, "When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me." What Jesus was telling the crowd is that he is God and when they place their faith in him they believe in God himself! When you see Jesus you see God. When you hear Jesus you hear God. When you believe in Jesus you believe in God!

  EXAMPLE: I have often puzzled over those who struggle with the concept of the Trinity, especially when Jesus related, "When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me." And remember how the Jews wanted to stone Jesus because he emphatically stated, "I and the Father are one." (John 10:30 NIV) He also taught, "I tell you the truth before Abraham was born, I am!" (John 8:58 NIV) The writer of Hebrews understood what Jesus meant and reiterated, "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven." (Hebrews 1:3 NIV) The idea here is Jesus is God. This is why John would later write that Jesus "is the true God and eternal life." (1 John 5:20 NIV) When you believe in Jesus you believe in God!

There is an old saying about when things get real in life that this is "where the rubber meets the road." Jesus did not come into the world to be a nice guy and to share with us how to be nice people. Rather, we discover that…

II. When you believe in Jesus you will not be condemned! (Vv. 46-48)

I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.

  1. Jesus came into a world that was in the throes of ungodliness and sinful darkness. It was a world that loved its darkness and did not care for the things of God. It has not changed much. This is why the message of the gospel, Jesus' message is so extremely important. Jesus tells the crowd, "I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness." Jesus did not and does not want anyone to remain in sin. A life of sin leads to eternal death and separation from God. If we believe in Jesus, we will live in the light of life! Jesus then went on to teach that "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him." Jesus did not become a man and walk this earth to judge people's sin while he was here. They had the opportunity to decide if they would honor him as the Messiah or not and this would not bring judgment for eternal life. Instead after he suffered death on the cross, rose from the grave, and ascended to his former position of power at the right hand of God, then there he would judge the world. Jesus succinctly states, "For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it." He came to bring salvation. However, Jesus warns his listeners, "There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day." The word of God, his words, his gospel message would judge the world. Later, Jesus would teach, "He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me." (John 14:24 NIV) The words Jesus spoke were God's very words, his message of salvation for mankind and should not be ignored. On the last day, when you believe in Jesus you will not be condemned!

  EXAMPLE: One of the things Jesus taught was the fact of eternal consequences. He told his enemies, "I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." (John 8:24 NIV) Jesus also taught Nicodemus, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." (John 3:18 NIV) John the Baptist told his disciples this truth concerning Jesus, "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." (John 3:36 NIV) While God loves us and sent Jesus to die for us, he also hates sin and we are sinners by nature and by choice. His love is displayed through Jesus and his wrath is always against sin. This is why Jesus taught that in the final judgment, "The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 13:41-42 NIV) This is also why Jesus taught, "But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him." (Luke 12:5 NIV) How wonderful to know then that when you believe in Jesus you will not be condemned!

I had a mainline denominational pastor tell me, "All you Baptists preach about is salvation!" I was at first offended, but the more I thought about it the more I not only agreed with his assessment, I wholeheartedly endorse it! The reason is simple…

III. When you believe in Jesus you have eternal life! (Vv. 49-50)

For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say."

  1. Christians are to be about their Master's business and his business was seeking and saving the lost. He has given us his command to share the good news everywhere and with everyone we can. Matthew relates that Jesus' last words were, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19-20 NIV) Mark wrote Peter's recollection of Jesus' command to, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." (Mark 16:15-16 NIV) Luke was told that Jesus shared with his disciples, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things." (Luke 24:46-48 NIV) And even Paul wrote in his book of Acts that Jesus' final words before he ascended back to heaven were, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8 NIV) Why? Because the message was eternal life! This is why Jesus finished this bit of teaching here in John's gospel with the caveat, "For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it." The message of God, salvation, is the most important message there is. All other messages, religious teachings, or pithy quotes pale in comparison. God commanded Jesus on what to say and how to say it! Jesus emphatically retorts, "I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say." Wow! God's gospel truth! When you believe in Jesus you have eternal life!

  EXAMPLE: The truth of the gospel is found in Jesus. He told the doubting crowds, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:40 NIV) And of course when he taught Nicodemus, the Pharisee who came to him at night, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16 NIV) Jesus knew that God's command, his purpose for Jesus, the gospel, leads to eternal life. When you believe in Jesus you have eternal life!

Conclusion:

When you believe in Jesus you believe in God! When you believe in Jesus you will not be condemned! When you believe in Jesus you have eternal life!

This article is copyrighted © 2015 by Lee Hemen and is the sole property of Lee Hemen, and may not be used unless you quote the entire article and have my permission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have Faith in God - Mark 11:22-26

Leave Everything Behind! - Mark 10:28-31