Yacob, the Simple Carpenter

Yacob, the Simple Carpenter
12-13-09 AM
By Pastor Lee Hemen

(We find an older man, dressed in carpentry clothes, busily working in his shop, and singing to himself.) Yehovah is my shepherd; I shall not be in want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He guides me in His righteousness…

Good morning! Shalom! May the Lord bless you! Welcome to my carpentry shop! My name is Yacob. I do all kinds of carpentry work! What do you need today? Just looking for some good sturdy furniture? I can do that! I am but a simple carpenter. My father was a simple carpenter, his father was a simple carpenter, and… well… you get the idea. (Expansively.) We are all simple carpenters! We have a long history of being carpenters. But I can make almost anything you would need!

Do you need a table? A chair? Perhaps you need a cradle?

Do you have children? I do. A son. Yoseph. Do they follow in your footsteps? Do they want to do what you do for a living? Is there a heritage there, as is in my family? Children, they are our future, our hope, and a source of much stress and sleepless nights! But we love them, right? And they should honor their parents! I ask you, therefore, is it wrong for me to want my son to become a carpenter as well?

I have been building things all my life. Using my skills with wood, stone, reeds, and other materials to make furniture, utensils, roofs, and just about anything anyone needed. (Sands the piece of wood in his hands and blows the sawdust off of it.)

(Longingly.) My one hope was that my son Yoseph would be a carpenter too! But the young these days! (Throws up his hands.) How can you get them to do anything!? They want everything right now without putting in the time to build and develop their homes, families, and their "traditional" occupations.

When he was younger he would come into my carpenter shop and play with the sawdust and tools. He would watch me for hours learning the trade of his father. (Proudly pats his chest.) And in this he became a very good carpenter himself. Sensitive to the way differing wood works, the grain of it and the feel of it, how stone is to be used, and how to make the differing weaves for furniture and such. Just when (Holds up piece of wood he is working on and shakes it.) I thought he was able to take over the family business, this other business happens! (Sadly shakes his head.) Oh, Yoseph what have you done?

Have your children done anything that surprised you or disappointed you? Oh? Perhaps, you understand then.

Did I tell you that he met the most wonderful girl? No? A village girl, a local young woman named Miriam. A wonderful girl. A beautiful girl! A gem of a girl! So full of life, devout, and very supportive of Yoseph! But now, (Chokes back a sob.) she is with child. She claims her pregnancy is through the power of the Holy Spirit, is of God, and the baby will be a boy! But, not just any boy, mind you, but the promised Messiah! the Messiah! What was I to believe!

My wife was devastated… as was I. Our dreams, our plans, our hopes were all dashed in a moment. (Shakes piece of wood.) I can tell you that we were both hurt and incredulous! Miriam's story was unbelievable! How could this possibly happen in our day and age of enlightenment? Miriam came sobbing and contrite to us wanting us to believe her. She related how an angel of God had come to her and that she herself had been doubtful, but that the angel had assured her that is was true! How could we believe such nonsense?

But then, Yoseph came that very week and told us that he too had been given a vision of God in a dream, telling him to go ahead and take Miriam as his beloved bride. At first we thought he was covering up for his own sinful transgressions with Miriam, but he was resolute. His conviction and that of Miriam's soon convinced us that what they told us was definitely…, incredulously…, and yet… wonderfully true! Yoseph had at first sought to comfort Miriam and to put her away quietly as to not cause her undo harm in the community, but now that God had shown him as well, he stoutly stood at her side and decided to continue with the marriage and betrothal. "It is the will of God," he reminds us.

Today, they are leaving us though… (Sadly.) Caesar, (Spits and curses Caesar.) may there be a pox on his household, in his infinite governmental wisdom wants more of our money and so we will all have to go to the city of our ancestors to register for the new census. It is all a ruse to just steal more from our pockets! My wife and I will not have to go because we have designated Yoseph as the head of our household now. So, he and Miriam… little pregnant Miriam… will take the long dangerous trek to Bethlehem to register there. I am worried because they are getting a late start and may not find anywhere to stay. It is so close to Jerusalem and there are bandits on the road, thugs, thieves, and robbers. (Clasps his hands together.) May He who loves us watch over them as they journey.

I have given him a little something extra, just in case, in order to pay for a good clean dry room. (Confidently.) I am sure they will be alright. They are both young and resourceful. Yoseph is level-headed, and Miriam will make sure he makes good choices. (Goes back to sanding the piece of wood.)

I have assured his mother that everything will be fine and they will be in no danger… (Looks up.) May He who cares for His own, watch over His little ones who journey so far away from home and family... But then, (Smiles meekly.) Miriam is carrying a boy, the promised Messiah! (Looks around and kind of whispers.) And… his name… will be Yeshua because he will save his people! Can you imagine that? I know that if Miriam is carrying the promised Messiah of the Almighty, then He, who watches over His flock like a shepherd, will not allow anything to happen to them out of the ordinary. Well, more than has already happened! Right?

(Looks up. Dusts himself off.) Where are my manners? (Calls off stage.) Mama! We have company! A customer! Come and help… (Looks down and then again far off.)I know God will take care of Yoseph and Miriam… and the little one she carries that comes to save His people Israel... (Smiles.) Come, come let us sit awhile and talk of carpentry and the furniture you need, shall we? After all, I am but a simple carpenter…
---
Pastor Lee Hemen has been the outspoken pastor of the same church for 25 years in Vancouver, WA. He writes regularly on spirituality and conservative causes and maintains several web blogs. This article is copyrighted © 2009 by Lee Hemen and is the sole property of Lee Hemen, and may not be used unless you quote the entire article and have my permission. You now have my permission...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have Faith in God - Mark 11:22-26

2 Chronicles 7:13-15 - Building a Strong Church -- How to Pray With Power!